Coconut flour is not only a low carb, gluten free alternative to wheat. It is high in protein, and contains more fibre than wheat brand has to offer. With all things good coconut waffles has to offer it’s now a regular show at home.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut/ coconut flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 eggs *preferably free range
- 3/4 cooked sweet potato mashed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees c. to toast the coconut until golden brown and fragrant about 3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, sweet potato, and vanilla until smooth. Add the toasted coconut and dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes
- Pour batter onto the waffle iron (this will depend on the waffle maker you’re using), and cook to manufacturers instructions.
- Remove the waffle from heat to place on a baking sheet and place in the warm oven while you prepare the rest of the waffle. Serve warm with sweet or savory additions.
*Substitute a large ripe, banana mashed in exchange for the sweet potato to vary.
*Save your almond ground for recipe this if you’re making almond milk at home. Recipe link for almond milk here.