- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 100g rindless bacon, in short, thin strips
- 100g baby salad leaves of any kind.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (185ml) cream
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (30g) shredded parmesan
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 150g butter, chilled, cubed
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- To make the pastry, tip the flour and butter into a bowl, then rub together with your fingertips until completely mixed and crumbly. Add 8 tbsp cold water, then bring everything together with your hands until just combined. Roll into a ball and use straight away or chill for up to 2 days. The pastry can also be frozen for up to a month.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a round about 5cm larger than a 25cm tin. Use your rolling pin to lift it up, then drape over the tart case so there is an overhang of pastry on the sides. Using a small ball of pastry scraps, push the pastry into the corners of the tin. Chill in the fridge or freezer for 20 mins. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- In a small roasting tin, drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put the tomatoes in a low shelf of the oven.
- Lightly prick the base of the tart with a fork, line the tart case with a large circle of greaseproof paper or foil, then fill with baking beans. Blind-bake the tart for 20 mins, remove the paper and beans, then continue to cook for 5-10 mins until biscuit brown.
- When you remove the tart case from the oven, take out the tomatoes, too.
- While the tart is cooking, beat the eggs in a large bowl. Gradually add the cream, then stir in the basil and season. When the case is ready, sprinkle half the cheese over the base, scatter over the tomatoes, pour over the cream mix, then finally scatter over the rest of the cheese. Bake for 20-25 mins until set and golden brown. Leave to cool in the case, trim the edges of the pastry, then remove from the tin. Scatter over the remaining basil and serve in slices.
*Add 2 cups of any of filling of your choice to this base mixture.
Recommendations for filling, bacon and onion, leek and mushroom, diced chicken breast cooked in butter in a frypan until golden with corn kernels. Cool the filling before adding it into the mixture.