Quinoa is fast becoming the ultimate super food for most. When cooked right fluffy quinoa is excellent partnered up with whatever veggies at reach, a simple lemon vinaigrette dressing to go with and BOOM! You have one awesome salad with not much effort needed. Quinoa salad can be eaten as meal on it’s on (delightful vegetarian dish might I add), or alternatively this is perfect as a side serve with grilled chicken breast, or fish fillet. Simple, delish, healthy!
- 1/2 cup quinoa 1 cup water or broth (2:1 ration of liquid and quinoa)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1. Place liquid of your choice (either broth or water), oil, and quinoa in a pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer the quinoa for about 15 minutes at this point the grains should be translucent and the white germ forms a visible spiral on the exterior of the quinoa.
2. Take the quinoa off the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. This will give it time to absorb any moisture that might still be in the pot.
3.Uncover and fluff with a fork. The quinoa should look light and fluffy, and you should be able to see the germ separating from the seed.
4.Scrape the cooked quinoa into a mixing bowl. Add in whatever grill or steamed veggies you have set for the salad, lemon vinaigrette dressing. Stir until evenly mixed. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and nuts for the extra crunch before serving.
Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon teaspoon of crushed coriander seeds (opti0nal)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix together the zest of 2 lemons, the juice of 1 lemon, white wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil a teaspoon of crushed coriander seeds and a little salt and pepper.
2. Drizzle on your favourite salad serve and enjoy!
Note: You might want to make extra. The dressing is also great used as a marinade for white meat