If you’re after a healthier less processed snack, these deeeeliicous coconut macaroons are an absolute must try. I still cant get enough after baking two dozen this week.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup dehydrated flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted *optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add in vanilla and orange zest, beat on medium speed until soft peaks form (Whip the egg white until it stiffens f you prefer an airy, less dense macaroon). Gradually beat in sugar substitute on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in the coconut, cranberries and almonds.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 180 degrees C for 10-15 minutes or until set. Cool for 15 minutes before carefully removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate on the bottom of each cookie if desired.