One of my greatest cooking discovery to date. Vegetarian fish (mock meat) curry with orka and roti canai.
- 1 1/2 cups standard flour
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- 1/2 cup luke warm water
- pinch of salt
1. Sift flour and salt together into a large mixing bowl.
2. Pour the liquids and gently stir the mixture together until it gets too tough to stir or when a dough is form.
3. Flip the dough onto a clean floured surface and knead for about 4-5 minutes.
4. Once done set aside dough in a oiled bowl covered for about 2-3 hours to soften.
5. Separate dough into 8 portions and roll into balls. *At this stage you can set some aside to freeze if you wish.
6. Working with one dough portion at a time, flatten and thin out the dough by stretching out the sides.
7. Once stretched fold in the edges back to the centre and roll the roti dough flat with palm of your hands until about half a cm thick.
8. Cook roti in on a well oiled hot skillet until golden crisps start to form.
My method of roti folding is rather simple. For something a little more authentic you might want to try this..